IT’S SAID THAT WHAT WE DO BETWEEN THE HOURS OF 6:00-9:00AM DEFINES WHO WE ARE. THE MORNING ROUTINE IS WHAT STARTS THE DAY FOR SOME OF THE WORLD’S MOST EXTRAORDINARY PEOPLE. WHETHER IT’S HAVING THEIR COFFEE OR TAKING A COLD SHOWER, EACH OF THEIR MORNINGS ARE FILLED WITH TASKS THAT NEED TO BE ACCOMPLISH TO BE SUCCESSFUL THAT DAY. WE SIT DOWN WITH SOME OF TODAY’S MOST INTERESTING AND INSPIRING PEOPLE TO SEE HOW THEIR DAYS STARTS…
I WAKE UP AT…
6:00 AM when my girlfriend’s alarm goes off. She gets up right away, while I suffer through opening my eyes. Meanwhile my dog invades the bed and tries to convince me to sleep in a little longer.
HOW MANY HOURS SLEEP DO YOU TYPICALLY GET?
Consistently 8. I don’t have any issue with less on occasion, but for me to be at my best I need 8 consistently.
TYPICALLY MY GROOMING REGIME CONSISTS OF…
My list is as follows:
- Shower – K&B Body Brick, Aveda Pure-Formance Shampoo
- K&B Organic Deodorant
- Facial Hair – Wet shave (w/ badger brush and safety razor) using K&B Mint and Eucalyptus shave soap (New Product in development) OR Beard Trim (w/ personal clippers and comb) and K&B Basil Mint beard oil – depending on beard vs. clean shaven (I switch back and forth constantly)
- I style my hair with K&B Organic Pomade (new product in development)
- As for moisturizer, I’m using K&B Organic Moisturizer for my face (another new product in development)
WHAT DOES THE EVERYDAY UNIFORM LOOK LIKE?
- Monk strap brown leather shoes
- Selvedge jeans
- White / blue button down
- Moto 360 watch
- Studebaker Metals cuff
- Blazer and knit tie depending on occasion
COFFEE? TEA? WATER? OTHER?
Coffee is one of my favorite things in life! I have one right when I wake up, and another an hour after. Both with milk. The second with an espresso shot to really get the day going.
WHAT DOES BREAKFAST LOOK LIKE?
Back to basics here. Either toast with peanut butter or over-easy eggs with toast.
WHAT THE MOST IMPORTANT THING THAT YOU MUST DO EVERY MORNING?
Take a moment to collect my thoughts for the day. Having an extra few minutes to myself (whether it’s checking email, reading the news, etc.) makes me feel more in control and less rushed. Even though every day is jam packed, you only get one life and there is no point feeling stressed and out of control as if you don’t have an extra minute to spare.
- K&B Organic deodorant – I’m not just saying this because we make it. This stuff seriously packs a punch. Just as effective as synthetic versions, but with none of the harsh chemicals.
- Jura Ena 9 coffee machine – Yes, I love coffee that much. The machine is a little over the top, but makes an amazing cup of joe.
HAS YOUR MORNING ROUTINE CHANGED OVER THE YEARS?
Biggest change without a doubt was when I left my job with Ralph Lauren. The routines changed in all the ways that you might expect when you shift from rushing into the office to working for yourself. The most significant change is that I make my own schedule. Whatever it may be, I can adjust when I walk out the door to make sure my different priorities are met and I don’t have to worry about some boss breathing down my neck when I walk into the office.
WHEN YOU DON’T FOLLOW THIS ROUTINE, HOW DOES THAT AFFECT THE REST OF THE DAY?
Nothing major. Most of all I just feel lazy / sloppy. I find that when you start the day being productive it carries through the rest of the day.
DO YOU FEEL LIKE HAVING A ROUTINE HAS BEEN ESSENTIAL TO YOUR SUCCESS?
Absolutely. It gets me on my A-game and preps me for a long productive day. That said, you always need to be ready to perform when things are off.