Serves 2 (about 3 tacos each)
For the slaw:
1/2 – small red cabbage, shredded (about 4 cups)
1 – small carrot, grated
2-3 – green onions, chopped (half a red onion works well too)
Handful of chopped cilantro
1 – clove garlic, minced
1 – tablespoon lime juice
2 1/2 – tablespoons mayonnaise (you can replace with greek yogurt as well)
1/2 – tablespoons sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
For the fish:
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1/2 – teaspoon salt
1/4 – teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 – pounds of fish (snapper, sole, tilapia, mahi-mahi, or cod)
Oil suitable for high heat cooking (peanut, canola or grapeseed)
12 corn tortillas (we used Small Mission)
Fresh cilantro for garnish (chopped)
Tomatillo Salsa (optional)
– Preheat a grill pan (or non-stick skillet) to medium heat
– Season fish while pan is heating with salt, pepper and a little cayenne pepper.
– Brush the pan with the peanut/canola oil
– Gently place the fish on the grill pan, and grill for 2 minute
– Gently turn and cook for 1 minute on the second side
– Remove fish from pan and tent with foil to keep warm while you prepare the toppings
– Cover tortillas with a damp paper towel, and gently heat in the microwave for about 30 seconds.
– Mix red cabbage, green onions and carrots in dry mixing bowl
– In separate bowl mix mayonnaise, sugar, lime juice, minced garlic then coat the dry cabbage mixture and let cool in fridge.
– Assemble tacos, first the fish; top it with the cooled slaw, garnished with fresh cilantro, avocado, sliced jalapeño and a lime wedge. Enjoy.