2 cups (cans) black beans
½ cup red onion, minced
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp chili powder (optional)
2 TBS cilantro, chopped
4-6 ounces pepper jack cheese or Mexican blend
2 TBS vegetable oil
Pinch of salt and pepper
Tortillas (corn or flour) (12 pack)
PICO DE GALLO
1/4 cup Cilantro, fresh
2 Lime (juice)
1 Jalapeno, small
1/2 cup Red onion
8 Roma tomatoes or 2 Large Slicing Tomatoes
1tsp Minced Garlic or Garlic Power
Salt (to taste)
Pepper (to taste)
Yellow Spanish-style rice
Sour cream / crème fraiche
– Before starting any stovetop cooking, prepare pico de gallo mix by combining tomatoes, red onion, jalapeno, lime juice, garlic and spices. Set in fridge for 20 mins
– To prepare your beans for the mixture, take a non-stick pan and open and pour 1 can fully into pan (juice and all), rinse off beans from second can and throw in pan. (You can dump both cans in, but only adding a little bit of liquid keeps the beans moist but not soggy)
– In a medium bowl, add warmed beans with red onion, cilantro, and all spices. Add a pinch of salt and lightly mash all of the ingredients together.
– In a clean, large, non-stick skillet, add a few tablespoons of oil and heat over medium-high heat.
– Take 1 tortilla, add about 1/4 cup of the bean filling and sprinkle on cheese. Fold into half circle and place into pan.
– Let fry about 3-4 mins and using a spatula, flip and fry for another 3 mins.
– As the first tortilla cooks, move it to the side and do a second one. Depending on the size of your pan, you should be able to get 2 or 3 tacos at once.
– Serve tacos with toppings, such as hot sauce, salsa, avocados, and sour cream.